Research Needs of Boiling Water Reactors Conference October 2016 🗓
The first UK conference on the “Research Needs of Boiling Water Reactors” was held in Bangor between October 24-26th 2016. It was organised by Imperial College & Bangor University in collaboration with Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy Ltd.
Sixty delegates from UK industry, Universities and Government participated and made the meeting a great success. The conference began with the signing of a 3 way Memorandum of Understanding between Hitachi, Imperial College and Bangor University before the technical programme began in earnest on the afternoon of the 25th October 2016 with a presentation by Chief Engineer Kumiaki Moriya from Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy Ltd. This gave an overview of the research needs for the next generation of boiling water reactors. A further presentation by Hitachi-GE’s allowed the audience to become familiar with the requirements of core and fuel designs in BWRs. The day then concluded with an informative talk given by Horizon Nuclear Power on their Wylfa Newydd project planned for the nearby Isle of Anglesey.
The second day started with an enlightening series of talks outlining research needs for the higher performance cores, fuel and thermal hydraulics being developed by GE-Hitachi.
A highlight of the second day were the presentations given by Ilan Davies, Debbie Jones and Matthew Jackson who had been hosted by Hitachi in Japan for three month internships. The enthusiasm of all three students, for the work they did and the Japanese hospitality they experienced, shone through.
The afternoon of the second day adopted a workshop format. The attendees formed two break out groups to discuss the research needs in these major areas (click the links to get a summary of each group’s discussions):
The day concluded with the conference meal. The final day detailed funding opportunities available for BWR research in the UK.
Agenda and Presentations
The meeting agenda is given below. Where possible, relevant presentation slides have been linked to agenda items.
- Welcome (Bangor Vice Chancellor, J. Hughes)
- Overview of Research Needs of the BWR (K. Moriya)
- Research Needs for Core and Fuel Design (T. Hino)
- Wylfa Newydd Presentation (M. Sailsbury)
- Research Needs for Higher Performance Core and Fuel (H. Soneda)
- Research Needs for Thermal Hydraulics (K. Nishida)
- Presentations by Students that Spent Three Months in Japan in Summer 2016:
- Description and Organisation of Breakout sessions (N. Waterman)
Workshop Break Out Sessions
- Group 1: Core and Fuel Breakout Session
- Group 2: Thermal Hydraulics Breakout Session
- Breakout Groups Prioritise Potential Research Projects
- Plenary Session Break Out Groups Present Outline Details of Priority Projects
- Presentation on EPSRC Funding (K. Bowman and L. Anderson)
- KESS Funding (S. Hope)
- BWR Research Hub and Forum & Feasibility Projects (N. Waterman)